Sample by My Essay Writer
To solve the multitude of complex problems facing the United States and the world as a whole, the IOM calls upon the experts to present possible solutions for discussion, debate, and examination. Thus, in a bid to assess and transform the nursing profession, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Institute of Medicine launched a two-year research on the future of nursing. Through the appointment of a committee, a report containing recommendations for an action-oriented blueprint for the future of nursing was produced (Kakonge, 2015). This includes:
1. Nurses practice fully in accordance with their education and training
Nurses have great potential to form innovative strategies that aim at improving the healthcare system. However, it is worth noting that several historical, regulatory and policy barriers limit nurses in generating a widespread transformation. These barriers include health care system fragmentation, high turnover rates, and difficulties in transitioning from school to nursing practice among other demographic challenges (IOM, 2011). Thus, the federal government through Federal Trade Commission (FTC) should promote reforms on scope-of-practice laws by sharing and providing incentives for adoption of best practices.
2. Nurses should achieve a higher level of education and training through an improved education system that promotes seamless academic progression.
Nurses need to undergo improved education system and training to attain the requisite competencies to deal with the evolving healthcare system and complex patient needs. The education system should consist opportunities for seamless transition to higher degree programs- from Licensed Practical Nurse(LPN) to the Associates (ADN) and Bachelor’s (BSN) degrees: to masters, Ph.D., and doctor of nursing practice(DNP)degrees. In addition, physicians and other health professionals should educate the nurses both as students and in their careers (IOM, 2011).
[“Write my essay for me?” Get help here.]
3. Nurses should collaborate with physicians and other health professionals, in redesigning health care in the United States.
In a transformed health care system, strong leadership is critical; thus, the nursing profession must produce leaders throughout the system. These leaders must partner-up with physicians and other health professionals while being accountable for their actions in delivering quality care. [Need an essay writing service? Find help here.]
4. Effective workforce planning and policymaking require making better data collection and information structure (IOM, 2011)
By collecting data on the number and type of health professionals available, to cater and meet future needs, transformation in the health care system is achieved by balancing skills and perspective among physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals.
Importance of the IOM “future of nursing”
Due to the varying level of education and competencies, licensed practical nurses practice in hospitals, schools, homes, private health clinics, battlefield, community and public health centers, nursing homes while others conduct research, innovate, and invent new ways of providing care to the patients and promoting health. The IOM “Future of Nursing” report had the following benefits to the nurses and nursing profession:
1. Removing barriers to practice and care through which nurses and certified midwives numerous privileges in Arizona such as independent practice have and administering prescription to patients.
2. For nurses to lead and collaborate; they should be accorded a broad range of opportunities. Through Arizona Organization of Nurse Executives, and Independent Nurse Practitioner Forum opportunities to redesign and improve health systems to be granted to nurses to lead and manage collaborative efforts with physicians and other members of the healthcare profession through research.
3. Implement nurse residency programs. It supports the transition of the nurse from school to practice by ensuring they complete their formal residency program before assuming Registered Nurse (RN) role (ABC, 2006).
4. Increase the proportion of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80% by 2020. Nurse leaders should work together across all schools to increase the percentage of nurses with a baccalaureate degree, more so they should collaborate with private and public funders, employers to facilitate funding and increase the diversity of student to form a workforce that can meet dynamic of the population.
5. The number of nurses undertaking the doctorate should be double the size to meet the increasing needs.
6. Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning.
7. Prepare and enable nurses to lead change to advance health.
8. Building infrastructure for the collection and analysis of inter-professional health care workforce data [Click Essay Writer to order your essay]
Role of state-based coalition in advancing the goals of future nursing
For nurses to practice in line with their education and training there should be an amendment to the Medicare program to allow clinical nurses prescription privileges. In addition, they should extend Medicaid fees for primary care nurses who perform same services as an advanced practice registered nurses. The U.S. Secretary of Education, state and private funders should issue loans and grants for second-degree nursing students while ensuring that the Workforce Commission membership comprises of sufficient nursing expertise (Randolph, Hrabe & Compton, 2011).
Arizona State is fortunate as it has the most liberal scopes of practice for NP in the US. Thus, the state has the initiative to support legislature in removal/elimination of collaboration from existing statutes where certified clinical nurses are granted prescriptive privileges while providing CRNAs with statutory authority to function in line with their academic qualification (Randolph, Hrabe & Compton, 2011).
The state should take the initiative of reviewing existing and proposed state regulations concerning nursing to loot out those that do not contribute t the health and safety of the public while amending unduly restrictive regulations to allow advanced practice registered nurse to provide care to the patients in all capacities for which they qualify. Through these initiatives, nurses can practice independently while operating private practices. It ensures patients access health care with ease.
Advancement in the health care system is hindered by factors such as high rates of turnover among nurses, difficulties in transitioning from school to practice, aging workforce, regulatory barriers, and fragmentation of the health care system. To overcome high turnover rate of Registered Nurses should help the new graduate transition from school to practice. More and more nurses should enroll to replace the aging workforce while ensuring they learn a great deal from them. The federal government should promote effective reforms that aid in collecting and dissemination of best practices across the country and funding their adoption.
In conclusion, US have the opportunity to transform the health care system, and nurses play a significant role in this transformation. However, this requires the collaboration of government, businesses, health care organizations, professional association, the insurance industry, and the nurses. To achieve the recommendations presented in this report, licensing bodies, philanthropic organizations, consumer advocacy organizations, and educational institutions must work together to provide improved health and healthcare system while availing seamless care which is affordable to all.
OM (Institute of Medicine). 2011. The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.
Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
The Advisory Board Company. (2006). Transitioning new graduates to hospital practice profiles
of nurse residency program exemplars. Washington, D.C: The Advisory Board Company.
Kakonge, D. K. (2015). Education. Opening doors.
Randolph, P., Hrabe, D., & Compton, P. (2011). Arizona Campaign for Action: Arizona Future
of Nursing Leading Change, Advancing Health.